Genetic Counsellors can help individual and families in understanding and adjusting to the diagnosis of a genetic condition or genetic risk information.
Ways in which genetic counsellors can support you include;
- Collate your personal and family history health information to assess the risk of or diagnose a genetic condition.
- Discuss your options for genetic testing and help you understand any results
- Advise you about ways to manage health issues or health risks relating to a genetic condition
- Assist you in making decisions relating to genetic testing and/or managing your genetic condition
- Advise you about risks to your children or future children including options for family planning
- Help you understand and find ways to share genetic risk information with your family members